Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme originally hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine (though it seems as though it’s been a while since she updated that particular blog, so if you know of the current host, if there is one, please let me know) that highlights upcoming releases that we’re impatiently waiting for. This week I’m featuring upcoming science fiction titles I’m excited to read! I feel like I haven’t read enough scifi lately, and I definitely want to change that. As usual, pub dates change without warning, so keep that in mind! You can also click on the cover photos for more detail/bigger file size.
- Battle of the Linguist Mages, by Scotto Moore – This is enough to make me want to read this immediately: Isobel is the Queen of the medieval rave-themed VR game Sparkle Dungeon. Her prowess in the game makes her an ideal candidate to learn the secrets of “power morphemes”—unnaturally dense units of meaning that warp perception when skillfully pronounced. (expected pub: January 11, 2022)
- The Best of World SF: Volume 1, edited by Lavie Tidhar – I love reading science fiction from other places, especially non-Western ones, and I think this might be out already?? I see two different dates. Either way, definitely an anticipated read for me. (expected pub: April 14, 2022)
- The Blood Trials, by N.E. Davenport – This one blends magic and science and is the first half a duology that focuses on a young Black woman who must survive deadly trials in order to become an elite warrior. I see comps to The Hunger Games and Stars Wars, and so far everything I’ve seen interests me! (expected pub: April 5, 2022)
- The Kaiju Preservation Society, by John Scalzi – an alternate Earth, Kaiju, John Scalzi? A winning combo to me! (expected pub: March 15, 2022)
- The Misfit Soldier, by Michael Mammay – Something about this cover drew me in, and then it being a ragtag bunch of soldiers in a military war drew me in, with comps to Martha Wells and John Scalzi. (expected pub: February 22, 2022)